[Sunhelp] How do you add /usr/ucb to your PATH

Jarrett Carver solarboyz1 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 25 11:39:45 CDT 2000

Unless you bought the Sun C compiler the cc in /usr/ucb is useless. It is
simply a shell script, that is of little good with out the "language
optional software package" installed.

I suggest going to sunfreeware.com and downloading a precomiled version of
GCC and install it. It should intall to /usr/local/bin, so make sure you add
/usr/local/bin to your path, also /usr/ccs/bin.
Example: PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin; export PATH

You may need to 'CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc; export CC' also.

And here is a tip, I just discovered after many failures compiling
something. You should download the latest source code for GCC and compile it
with the precompiled GCC you installed earlier. Apparently some of the
prepackaged compilers are linked to old libraries.

Hope this helps.

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator