[Sunhelp] secure ftp

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at sweden.sun.com
Tue Oct 24 07:04:05 CDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 03:50:12PM +0600, Chanaka Mendis wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to setup ftp server which supports SSL.( via internet)
> That means just like https.
> Do any one knows a secure ftp software?

Well, there are FTP clients with encryption support, such as the
secure FTP boundled with SSH2, or the ftp which is boundled with
kerberos. I guess it depends on what exactly you want to do, the
problem that i see with these kind of FTP servers is that the clients
are not commonly available, so any user who would like to access
them would have to download a client first. Which might be
envervating.

One way to solve it with SSL is to place a CGI script on a
SSL server to which you can upload a file, user authentication
can be made with for example htaccess. This is quite secure and
doesn't require any extra client. There might be a java ftpclient
around somewhere too.

But it also depends on what kind of security you want, if you
dont like to send passwords in clear you can also set up an
anonymous FTP server and let people store files there for a short
time.

If you have SSH1 installed and only want to copy a few files you
can also use scp.

Just some thoughts...

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */