[Sunhelp] Tape drive problems. somewhat off topic

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Mon Oct 23 16:22:25 CDT 2000

Hi All,

I've been using my HP DDS-2 drive (C1533C) to back up my Sun box for the
last few months, to back up my sun systems, but all of a sudden, it has
problems writing and reading my tapes, and it complains about needing
cleaning after only a very short while.  I've used the cleaning
Cartridge several times, but no change.  When I hooked it up the my NT
with HP tape tools, and I ran it through the diagnostics, and it gets
errors writing to the tape, and says that I probably have a problem with
my drive.  Any hints on how to 'really' clean it out (even if it may be
in a somewhat unorthodox manner)?

-Jonathan