[Sunhelp] Drive migration.

Chanaka Mendis chanakam at millenniumit.com
Mon Oct 23 01:21:02 CDT 2000

Kevin Stevens wrote:

> I have a SS20 with a 2GB internal SCSI drive running Solaris 8.  It has a
> bootable CDROM, but no tape drive.  I want to move the system to a new 9GB
> internal SCSI drive, and remove the 2GB drive from the system.  Does anyone have
> a recipe or walk-through to get me from point A to point B?
>
> Thanks!
>
> KeS

Hi,
I assume that there is a internal free slot for 9 Gb disk in SS20.

1. Mount s0 of  9GB disk to /mnt.(/mnt)

2. Then do a ufsdump.
eg: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 is the / partition
ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | (cd /mnt ;ufsrestore xf -)

3. Then update the vfstab in the new disk.

4. Exexute the foloowin commands.
  (New disk is  /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0)

cd /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs
installboot bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0

5. set the new boot device at OK prompt.

/Gayantha