[Sunhelp] Trouble with DSBE/S card ethernet port

David Rouse drouse1 at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 18 16:58:51 CDT 2000

I got a DSBE/S diff SCSI and lance buffered ethernet card so I could
make a NAT router for my home network. I've installed the card in both a
Sparc10 and an IPX. Both  are running Solaris 7 with patches from early
2000. In both cases the hub link light lights and the system seems to
recognize the card (boot messages and open boot diagnostics) but the
card doesn't seem to communicate with the network -- snoop shows
nothing, even when I'm creating traffic, and pinging doesn't work in
either direction. If used both ifconfig from the commmand line as well
as system files to configure the card.

I've tried both a Netgear DS108 10/100 hub and a Kingston KNE8TP/H
10BaseT hub with the same results. In both cases using CAT5 cable that
works with the built-in ethernet ports. I've also read the Sun Ethernet
Interface Support Document/FAQ and followed the instructions there
(installing and troubleshooting).

Sun docs seem to hint that the DSBE/S should work on the IPX as there
was a fix mentioned back on the SunOS 4.x days, and I have seen nothing
in the Solaris 7 documentation that says the card isn't supported.

Anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

--
drouse