[Sunhelp] Random device in Solaris 8? (OpenSSL)

Mike Dent mike at the-dents.org
Tue Oct 17 17:14:10 CDT 2000

Hi, I am trying to get OpenSSL 0.9.6 working on Solaris 8 (sparc). When
I try to
generate a certificate I get the folowing error:-

mike at mudge mike]$ /usr/local/ssl/misc/CA.pl -newca
CA certificate filename (or enter to create)

Making CA certificate ...
Using configuration from /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf
unable to load 'random state'
This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
with much random data.
Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key
23472:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not
seeded:md_rand.c:474:You need to read
the OpenSSL FAQ, http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
23472:error:04069003:rsa routines:RSA_generate_key:BN lib:rsa_gen.c:182:

Now looking at the FAQ it seems like I am lacking some form of random
device? :-

For Solaris 2.6, Tim Nibbe <tnibbe at sprint.net> and others have suggested
installing the SUNski package from Sun patch 105710-01 (Sparc) which
adds a /dev/random device and make sure it gets used, usually through
$RANDFILE. There are probably similar patches for the other Solaris
versions. However, be warned that /dev/random is usually a blocking
device, which may have some effects on OpenSSL.

Has anybody any ideas where I can get a package which will provide me
with the needed
randomness :)?

Thanks
Mike