[Sunhelp] DHCP configuration)

Brian Hinz bhinz at starnix.org
Tue Oct 17 07:01:06 CDT 2000

the problem is that your dhcp server is not configured to distribute the hostname information.  if
you are in a position where you have control over the dhcp server you can add something similar to
this to the dhcpd.conf file:

host yourhostname {
        hardware ethernet 8:0:20:f0:f2:1f;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.201;
        option host-name "yourhostname";
}

i spent some time researching this problem a few weeks back and found that some people propose
putting an rc script in your /etc/init.d directory, or commenting out the lines where the hostname
"unknown" gets set.  I found that both of these caused all sorts of weird problems on my machine,
like the window manager taking an excessively long time to start, etc.

-brian