[Sunhelp] SECOND IDE DRIVE IN ULTRA 10

Kalyandurga, Mohammed I KALYANMI at mail.aramco.com.sa
Mon Oct 16 23:56:49 CDT 2000

--Boundary_(ID_SAp+keMTy4RWwaBcUKK51Q)

1) Open your ultra 10 box.
2) Find a place for Second hard disk and fix it the location.
3) When you are connecting the data cable, make sure that
	a) If you are connecting to mother board with the existing IDE cable
connected to exisiting hard disk, make sure that the New hard disk you are
installing is set to Slace ( Jumper settings in the hard disk, same as PC),
and existing hard disk is Master.
	b) If you are connecting to mother board with the existing IDE cable
connected to Existing CDROM, make sure that CD ROM is MAster and New hard
disk is slave or vice versa.
	c) If you are connecting new hard disk to mother board with direct
IDE cable, without any other IDE device conneted to the cable, Make sure you
are connecting to SECENDORY IDE on the board. and your disk can be slave or
master, Preferably Single or Master.

4) Connect the power
5) power on the Ultra 10, press "stop a" at memory checking, after banner
display
6) give command " probe-ide"  at ok prompt. this should list all the IDE
devices you have, including CDROM and existing hard disk and new hard disk.
( Remember this command works only in latest types of Mother boards, i am
not sure of OBP version)
	a) write down the physical address of the new disk shown
7) Give command "boot -r" at ok prompt.
8) and when you are in solaris, give command "format" at command prompt,
select the new hard disk in the list (you can compare the physical disk
address you wrote earlier with the one format shows for the selection of
right disk) Be extremly care full at this point, because if you choose a
wrong one, you may end up losing your data)
9) Partion the disk using format command
10) run "newfs" command for each new partion you created
11) mount each partition for any mount point and you are ready to go..

hope this helps

Mohammed Ilyas K.