[Sunhelp] About snoop

Erik Parker eparker at mindsec.com
Mon Oct 16 02:50:16 CDT 2000

This is not actually accurate, there are ways to snoop/sniff switched
networks. Not that one would want to do this on their own production
network, however you can easily do arp redirects for a host to your own
machine to see those packets.

You can also flood switches with millions of mac addresses, which in some
cases, will drop the switch into a "hub" like mode.

These ideas can both be demonstrated by dsniff.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, John Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for all your help. I know the limitation is due to the switched
> network not snoop tool.
> I really appreciate all your help.
>
> Regards.
> John