[Sunhelp] Re: Replacing OpenBoot PROM on an SS20

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Thu Oct 12 02:36:11 CDT 2000

On Wed 2000-10-11 (19:02), Wingate, Steve [IBM NON J&J] wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade the OpenBoot PROM on my SS20; reason being that I've
> bought a dual 100mhz Ross cpu which requires PROM rev of 2.25 or later.

Sure you won't need 2.25R (note the R) ?

> Problem: after carefully putting in the new PROM I don't get any video and
> the green light on the front of the case doesn't come on. I do hear the
> drives spin up initially and I hear the system is definitely on.

Connect a serial terminal to ttya and watch the diagnostics output

  I can't
> tell by the sound if it's continuing to boot up fully but my guess is that
> it's not.

Can you ping the machine?

  I still have the SM61 cpu in so I know that isn't the issue. I am
> 110% sure I didn't bend any pins on the PROM and that it is seated properly.

Replacement of OBPs tends to switch to diag mode. Look in the Ross manual.

> Is there a jumper I have to clear or some key combo that I neglected after
> replacing a PROM?

Stop-N, Stop-D

  I even tried putting the old PROM back in to no avail.

The NVRAM contents have already been adjusted to the new OBP

Steffen, I'd start with the serial terminal
--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne