[Sunhelp] Oh no! IPIP tunnels again :)

Mike Dent mike at the-dents.org
Wed Oct 11 15:36:42 CDT 2000

I have a question regarding IPIP tunnelling in Solaris 8, example below:

Home			Home			Work

+----------+          +-------------+           +---------------+
|solaris 8 |          | linux gw    |           |199.1.2.3      |
|10.2.242.4|----------|10.2.242.1   |-----------| internet      |---->
|          |A        B|    10.8.83.1|C         D| connected     | NET
+----------+          +-------------+           +---------------+

A=10.2.242.4
B=10.2.242.1
C=10.8.83.1
D=199.1.2.3
(NOTE IP's changed!)

I have a machine at work with a backbone address which is doing
proxy ARP for my home machines. I'm using IPIP tunnels to connect
my home machines to work and make it appear that they are on the
backbone. I can do this fine with the linux machines but I am having
problems configuring IPIP tunnels (version4) with Solaris 8.

My home network is 10.2.242.0 and my linux gw pc above connects
to work via a wireless network, the whole network uses private
addresses. The private addresses are reachable from the work
backbone addresses.
I need to give my Solaris 8 box a backbone address, lets say
199.1.2.100 and encapsulate this in a tunnel using 10.2.242.4
as the endpoint of the tunnel at home.

Can anybody help me with the needed ifconfig and route commands
to get this working please?
I need to set my default route out from the Solaris box via the
IPIP tunnel.
I already have the route and arp publish in place at work so I think
that end is ok.
Any help would be most welcome. When I have this all working fully
and understand it I shall make it available on a web page.
Thanks
Mike

--
Mike Dent, Morecambe, Lancs. UK | <http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/dentm>