[Sunhelp] Re: GCC Install

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Oct 11 12:53:23 CDT 2000

On Wed 2000-10-11 (13:36), Brdersen Jacob K Civ ACC/DRKI wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying in vain for the past week to download and install a C
> compiler from www.sunfreeware.com onto my Ultra 1 140.
> The sunfreeware files used to
> be tarred as well, but there is no .tar in the filename.

Did you try to ask 'file' what it thinks about the file contents?
'tar -tvf' ? Even 'od -xc | more' ?

If it#s a gzipped file you should see the original filename somewhere
at the beginning of binary junk. If it's tarred, 'file' will probably
tell you it'd be text.

--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne