[Sunhelp] GCC Install

Brödersen Jacob K Civ ACC/DRKI Jacob.Brodersen2 at langley.af.mil
Wed Oct 11 12:36:02 CDT 2000

Hi all,

I've been trying in vain for the past week to download and install a C
compiler from www.sunfreeware.com onto my Ultra 1 140.  I used Netscape to
download the compiled and gzipped binary to my hard drive.  When I look at
the file, Netscape has truncated the file name and removed the .gz suffix.

I have tried to use gunzip, but the program says the file is not in gzip
format.  Assuming Netscape unzipped it for me, I have tried to use pkgadd to
add it, but that doesn't seem to work either.  The sunfreeware files used to
be tarred as well, but there is no .tar in the filename.

I have successfully installed this software on my Sparc 2 earlier this year,
but have obviously forgotten exactly how I did it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake

Jacob K. Brdersen III
Principal Engineer, Sverdrup Technology, Inc.
HQ ACC/DRKI
DSN 574-1911
COMM (757) 764-1911
jacob.brodersen2 at langley.af.mil