[Sunhelp] Solaris 8 IP multipathing

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Oct 5 17:52:51 CDT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Dan Angolano wrote:

| Hi all,
|
| I currently have some 4500's running Solaris 7 and Sun's trunking software
| to handle interface failover.  I read recently that Solaris 8 includes IP
| multipathing to handle the same interface failover functionality.  Does
| anyone know if they are just bundling the trunking software they had before,
| or is this completely new?  If it is new how does it compare to the trunking
| software, or what are your general feelings about it?

IP multipath was not included with Solaris 8 FCS. It will be added as a
part of Solaris 8 10/00, which of course is due to be released soon.

As far as I know, this is completely new, although I'm not sure if this
will replace sun trunking, because trunking binds interfaces into a single
virtual interface, whereas I think mpath just makes different interfaces
work in concert. But who knows. I dont see any docs on docs.sun.com for
mpath yet.

/dale