[Sunhelp] Telnet service port

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at Bigfoot.com
Wed Oct 4 12:26:27 CDT 2000

I have changed the telnet port in my services file from the default 23 to
a high numbered port, as an added intrusion detection/prevention
measure.  (I log connections to high ports differently.)  This is fine
when telnetting into the box; however, it is annoying when telneting FROM
this particular box to have to remember to change the port back to
23.  The alternatives that are obvious to me are:

- Change the services file back to 23.  (not desirable)

- Write a shell script wrapper for the telnet app which defaults it back
to 23 when run from the console.  (ok but kind of clunky)

- Live with it.  (status quo)

Any more elegant solutions to have incoming telnet at a high port while
outgoing remains at 23?

KeS