[Sunhelp] Version Control Software in UNIX

Gary Gendel x3145 ggendel at sarnoff.com
Tue Oct 3 07:03:45 CDT 2000

Rose,

There are a few alternatives for Unix.  If you stay with "free" software, a
better alternative to SCCS is CVS, which is built on top of RCS.  Read the
documentation since there is a basic paradym shift from SCCS to better support
concurrent development.  However, if you're looking at managing any
significant projects, you might want to look into P4 from Perforce
(http://www.perforce.com).  This has a whole lot going for it in both the
areas of administration (archive, security, reporting, etc.) and useability
(speed, flexibility, integration, better branch merging).  I've been
evaluating this product for my corporation and the concepts used are well
thought out.  For example, If you work on a bug that changes several files,
these files are checked in as an atomic unit, rather than several individual
changed files.

You can evaluate P4 by downloading the software from their website.  The
software includes two free permanent user licenses.

Good luck,
Gary