[Sunhelp] File date stamps

Grant Hooper granth at rdd.neca.nec.com.au
Tue Oct 3 01:48:15 CDT 2000

Hi All

Can anybody tell me what controls whether a file diplays
'time' or displays  'year'  in its date stamp when being created

There doesn't appear to be any pattern with directories, links etc
all displaying different formats on my system.

For example

ls -l

-rwxr-xr-x      1 granth   radio        555 Jan 19  2000    Dmgr_C.4
drwx------   2 granth   radio         24   Sep 19 10:52   mail
drwxr-xr-x      9 granth   radio       1024 Aug 16 14:31   mgc

The first file gives me the year which is useful for telling just how
old a file
is whereas the others give a time which is useless

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm trying to clear so disk space
and
want to avoid a problem in the future if possible

Any ideas

Grant Hooper