[Sunhelp] Can't get a program to bind on an external IP address...

Rob Staab rstaab at actbig.com
Mon Oct 2 15:03:44 CDT 2000

I'm currently trying to get a simple web proxy to build on Solaris 8, Ultra
5 hardware platofrm. I've specified the IP address of the single ethernet
card on the machine and the port 8000. This should allow ay user to connect
on this port and be forwarded out to the web site of their choice. However
when the daemon runs as any user except root, the proxy application is only
accessable from the local proxy machine. All other hosts on the network
cannot even connect to port 8000.

When the daemon runs as root, other hosts on the network can connect as
expected. Is there something I'm missing. I was under the impression that
ports above 1024 could be bound to by ordinary users and that binding to a
port would allow outside hosts to connect at that IP Address/port
combination.

Any information regarding this issue would be welcome.

Thanks,

- Rob