[Sunhelp] Default network interface?

Nicholas Dronen ndronen at frii.com
Sun Oct 1 22:13:46 CDT 2000

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 07:07:32PM -0700, Erik Parker wrote:

> Is it possible to change my default network interface? By default all
> traffic goes out iprb2.. I need it to all go out of iprb4 instead..
>
> Any ideas?

	You can change your default route, of course, but doing so
won't prevent the following types of traffic from using iprb2 as
a source interface.

-	Packets destined to an address on the network to which iprb2
	is directly attached.  (I can't imagine why one would want
	to prevent this.)

-	Packets destined to an address/network which matches an entry
	in the routing table pointing to a router on the same network
	as iprb2.  (If you don't have any explicit routes in the routing
	table -- other than the default route and the "interface" routes,
	including those for ibrb2 and iprb4 -- then you won't see this
	happen.)

	That said, I think simply changing the default router will do
what you want.  See the man page for defaultrouter(4) for how to do
this.  Also, netstat -r displays the current routing table.

Regards,

Nick Dronen