[SunHELP] Re: Filtering with Solaris 8 x86

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 30 16:38:01 CST 2000

>> Ok, Ipfilter doesn't cut it for me.. The box crashes every few weeks
>> (with various versions).. kernel dumping because of Ip filter.
>
> I'm suprised. I've been running ipfilter on Solaris 7 on a number of
> boxes (SPARC) with no problems. What about downgrading to Solaris 7 ?

i don't know that downgrading would help him.  he's running x86.  i run ipfilter
as well (on sparc of course) and have zero problems.  and i'm running 8.  so
you are trying to compare apples to oranges here.  of course x86 hardware is
flakier than sparc hardware, so that could be his problem (don't say anything,
i know i'm a sun-bigot/anti-wintel guy)

as far as SunScreen, i don't think there is an x86 version of that although i
could be wrong.

cheers,

-brian