[SunHELP] moving directories

Edward Chase sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 30 11:50:00 CST 2000

mv olddir newdir

Although now that I'm thinking about it, this may only work if they are in
the same filesystem.

I know I've seen some tar or cpio commands with some piping that would
work.  Since I'm not that proficient, I usually tar up the old directory to
a file and untar it to the new directory.  That works fine if you've got
the drive space.

Oh, one gotcha here as well...  I believe it was Solaris 2.6 I got bit with
once.  Tar'ing as root would not preserve ownership (or was it mv?)  I
found a patch for that however...