[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #704 - 17 msgs

Bob Minvielle sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 28 09:18:28 CST 2000

> > No offense to Sun, but a friend of mine who
> > maintains about 200+ sun boxes and four
> > Sun servers on a very large network (1000s
> > of PCs also) opted fora cheap PC running linux
> > to do DNS. I think it is simpler to setup
> > and maintain. I have never done it on a
> > Sun either, so I could not make a comparison.
>
> no offense to you and your friend, but bind is bind
> and it as is easy/hard to
> setup on linux as it is on solaris.

Ugh. I was not thinking of BIND. Yes it is a standard.
Yes it does have holes. Yes it does have memory leaks.
Yes it is slow. Yes I do know that 90% of the world
uses it. You do not have to. Try out Dan Bernstiens
DNS for some bulletproof, fast, small process/memory
dns. (oh, and it does comply to the RFC, unlike todays
BIND, which we take for a standard)

Sorry for the speal on Dans dns here, but I have had
my fair share of BIND (for over 7 years), and would
like people to know they have a choice.

=====
Bob
baddlci at yahoo.com