[SunHELP] Re: DNS

Kalyandurga, Mohammed I sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 27 23:44:48 CST 2000

--Boundary_(ID_n9gvbnPwBQPCb6rJapDwIA)

Thanks for this brian, I have already setup the DNS server on my ultra 5
with Sol 7. In the process of setting up of sendmail and apache..

thanks again..

> No offense to Sun, but a friend of mine who
> maintains about 200+ sun boxes and four
> Sun servers on a very large network (1000s
> of PCs also) opted fora cheap PC running linux
> to do DNS. I think it is simpler to setup
> and maintain. I have never done it on a
> Sun either, so I could not make a comparison.

no offense to you and your friend, but bind is bind and it as is easy/hard
setup on linux as it is on solaris.

>> Hi i need to setup DNS for one of the web site we
>> propose to build ?
>> anyone
>> have the walkthrough!!! or any web refererral ?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Mohammed Ilyas K.

i don't have any web references off the top of my head, but all you need to
do is go to www.isc.org and there should be a good howto or docs or whatever
there that should get you started.  if you are still having trouble, feel
free
to email me directly and i'll help you out.

also, if you want BIND 9.x you need to download it, since Solaris 8 ships
with
BIND 8.2

-brian
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org

--Boundary_(ID_n9gvbnPwBQPCb6rJapDwIA)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: [SunHELP] Re: DNS</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks for this brian, I have already setup the DNS =
server on my ultra 5 with Sol 7. In the process of setting up of =
sendmail and apache..</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>thanks again..</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>> No offense to Sun, but a friend of mine =
who</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> maintains about 200+ sun boxes and four</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> Sun servers on a very large network =
(1000s</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> of PCs also) opted fora cheap PC running linux =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> to do DNS. I think it is simpler to =
setup</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> and maintain. I have never done it on a </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> Sun either, so I could not make a =
comparison.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>no offense to you and your friend, but bind is bind =
and it as is easy/hard to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>setup on linux as it is on solaris.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>>> Hi i need to setup DNS for one of the web =
site we</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>>> propose to build ? </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>>> anyone</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>>> have the walkthrough!!! or any web =
refererral ? </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>>> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>>> thanks,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>>> Mohammed Ilyas K.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>i don't have any web references off the top of my =
head, but all you need to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>do is go to www.isc.org and there should be a good =
howto or docs or whatever</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>there that should get you started.  if you are =
still having trouble, feel free</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to email me directly and i'll help you out.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>also, if you want BIND 9.x you need to download it, =
since Solaris 8 ships with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>BIND 8.2</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-brian</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>SunHELP maillist  -  =
SunHELP at sunhelp.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.sunhelp.org/mailman/listinfo/sunhelp" =