[SunHELP] SCSI Disk Failure

Doug McLaren sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 27 10:54:46 CST 2000

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 11:34:02AM -0500, Dale Ghent wrote:
| On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 Gene.Patterson at risk.sungard.com wrote:
|
| | An internal disk crashed on an old SPARCstation 2 machine we have.  The disk was
| | a Quantum ProDrive 105S.
| |
| | Any suggestions on a currently available suitable replacement?  and possible
| | source?
|
| Any 7200rpm narrow SCSI drive (50pin connector) would suffice, such as any
| Seagate ST3xxxxN model.

There's no reason it has to be 7200rpm.  I wonder what speed that
`Quantum ProDrive 105S' rotated at - 3600rpm?  slower?

You might want to avoid 10k rpm drives due to heat (of course, there's
probably some 7200 rpm drives you'd avoid for the same reason) but I
don't see why you'd be putting such a fast drive into a SS2 anyways.

| Readily available most anywhere.

Not nessesarily.  Narrow scsi drives are getting harder and harder to
find, and there may not be enough room in there for a wide<->narrow
adapter.

Still, sutiable drives should be easy to find.  They need to be narrow
scsi and low profile 3.5" drives (though you *could* replace it with
an external drive if you wanted.)  Check your local used computer
parts store -- you can probably find sutiable 1gb (much bigger than
what you had) scsi drives for next to nothing.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com            Does the name `Pavlov' ring a bell?