[SunHELP] Red State Exception

Lyndon Griffin sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 20 13:54:05 CST 2000

A friend of mine has an ultra 5 he bought recently ( unfortunately, I
don't have physical access to the machine ).  During the POST, he's
getting a Red State Exception message followed by what appear to be
several lines of 64bit registers prefixed with codes like TL=, TPC=, IT=,
NPC=, TNPC=, e.g.
	TL = 0000.0000.0000.0005
	IT = 0000.0000.0000.0010
	TPC = 0000.0000.f000.4200
	NPC = 0000.0000.f000.4204

These messages repeat, decrementing TL each time, with TPC and NPC values
both increasing.  The final code is
	TSTATE = 0000.0044.5600.0400

My expertise (what little there is) lies in the older SPARC boxen, so I've
been unable to advise him on this matter.  To me, it looks as though
the processor is spewing forth (no pun intended).  Can anyone spare some
ideas?

Other info:  RAM has been tested OK in another box.  This condition is
occurring either before the framebuffer can come up as a console or it is
precluding him from accessing the OBP to set the framebuffer as a console.
CPU has not been tested in another box.  He believes it is an UltraSPARC
II/240mhz, but he could be wrong.

<:)  Lyndon Griffin
     Sr. Systems Engineer
     Naviant (http://www.naviant.com/)