[Sunhelp] Dual CPU SPARC20

Alan Robinson sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 13 15:02:04 CST 2000

>> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 10:13:34AM -0500, Mark Mohrmann wrote:
> Power off, put other CPU card in (be sure they're a matched pair, you
> cant reliably mix speeds - also, be sure its one of the CPU modules
> that's *capable* of SMP; see the FAQ at http://sun-ref.sunhelp.org),
> power on, and I usually do a "boot -r" from the OpenBoot ROM prompt.

Actually it is possible in some cases to run CPUs with different speeds. I
have been using an SM71/SM61 combination in an SS10 for several months now.
The only problem that I have seen is with the CDE image viewer which crashes
when both CPUs are enabled (via psradm). Outside of that little glitch it
works quite well. As Bill points out the question is how reliable a
non-matched set will be. Not every combination works. Anyone else have
experience with non-matched CPUs?

Alan Robinson WA3JKB