[Sunhelp] A1000 questions

Rey S. Castro sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 12 17:53:24 CST 2000

Hi,

Find the answers below, just inputs...

Rey

Tim Conrad wrote:

> I have a few questions about StorEdge A1000.
>
> Probably the biggest question is whether or not it will work with an
> Ultra1.  I've seen soem places that it will, and some places that it
> wont. There's a compatibility matrix with various types of Sun storage,
> that doesn't even list it as compatible with an E250, yet the sun online
> store sells 'snapshot' software with it for the E250.

***** It'll work on Ultra1, but you'll be needing an SBUS Ultra SCSI,
Differential Interface (single port), and for the PCI systems, like E250,
source for a PCI Ultra SCSI, Differentail Interface (dual port).

> Beyond that, is it possible to do alternate pathing, to connect to the
> array 2 times? Essentially. If I loose one of my mirrors, what happens
> with the A1000? Can it automagically use the good mirror?

***** I guess, alternate pathing is not possible in A1000, unlike D1000
(not hardware RAID).  A1000 has two SCSI port, one for the main system and
the other for cascading purposes (no room for the other system).  FYI,
D1000 has four port (2 by pair), each pair can be connected to different
systems.

> This is for a mail server, that currently has 2 multi-packs connected to
> it, that needs to have a major overhaul done to it.
>
> Would it be 'better' to just upgrade the multipack (from 4 GB to 18 GB
> drive), and upgrade the various pieces of software? The new
> configuration would be having a mirror of 3 18 gb drives in each
> Mult-Pack.

***** Multipack has no redundant power supply, no processor in it to cater
disk processes...

> Buget is, as always, tight. Would the performance be THAT much better on
> an A1000?

***** Performance wise, YES... With A1000,  it has hardware RAID controller
with dedicated 70 MIPS processor and up to 80 MB of cache memory, which
means all disk processes are working on array processor, thus giving less
load to the system processor.