[Sunhelp] Help! Ultra 1 170E 3D hangs without warning

Dennis L. Lund sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 7 14:18:08 CST 2000

The crashes I don't know about, but way back on Ultra 170's running solaris 2.5.1 the
machine would hang.  We would remove the network connection and then immediately put
it back and the machine would be fine for awhile.  This was cause because it was trying
to run at 100mb and the network was 10mb.  We had to force it to 10mb.  This solved the
hang problem.

To force a 10/100MB ether port to use 10MB perform the following steps:

at the "ok" prompt:

        ok show-devs
                should see /sbus at 1f,0/SUNW,hme at 3,8c00000

        ok nvedit
                0: probe-all install-console banner (enter)
                1: apply transfer-speed=10  (ctl + C)
        ok nvstore
        ok setenv use-nvramrc? true

Edit the /etc/system file and add these two lines:

set hme:hme_ipg1 = 10
set hme:hme_ipg2 = 5

Hope this helps with the hangs.
Dennis Lund