[Sunhelp] HARDDISK PROBLEM!

Adam McDougall sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 7 08:57:17 CST 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, suresh wrote:

> Hi
> I have installed solaris 8 on intel ,recently my os crashed and i got lot
> messages which indicated physical errors,but now I am getting this result
> when i do
>
> format-defect-grown
> 		 -primary
> does this mean is these are marked bad blocks
*clip*
> defect> grown
> Extracting grown defects list...Extraction complete.
> Defect List has a total of 0 defects.
> defect> primary
> Extracting primary defect list...Extraction complete.
> Defect List has a total of 2162 defects.
>
> Do yu think i should run a analyze-test to see if this figure increases
> Suresh

If this is a SCSI drive, most have defects in the primary (manufacturer's)
list.  The grown list is the number of bad sectors found and taken care of
by the hardware since it left the factory.  Your number is 0, so it has
not corrected for any possible bad sectors since it left the factory.  You
may want to ensure that the scsi mode page attributes for Read and Write
Correction are enabled so it will remap bad sectors automatically if it
finds any.  I am unfamiliar with how you would do a whole drive scan for
errors in solaris but if you have reinstalled,  you shouldnt have data to
worry about on the partition so you might as well try "analyze-test" and
see if it helps.