[Sunhelp] DSL question (kinda offtopic)

Chris & Amy Petersen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 3 10:02:16 CST 2000

Phil Brutsche wrote:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > My DSL provided wants to charge me business rates (costs 7x more), so
> > I'm wondering what other providers polocies are.
>
> Around here, similar.

Not exactly the same around here, but a similar vein (although the it's
been disputed many times on the local ISP newsgroup, so it may change).

> > First, I have a SparcStation Classis (this is the on-topic part) doing
> > my NAT, so they call that a server and want to charge me for for that,
>
> So don't tell them about the unix box - tell them you have an "internet
> connection sharing device" like the LinkSys Cable modem/DSL router
> (http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=5)

Ah, see, that's the distinction they nail you for here - single computer
versus multi-computer.  There is a 3rd level of business service, but it's
a true business offering (SDSL at something like 768k both ways w/ all kinds
of other junk).  The thing is, while the phone company portion stays the same
the ISP $$ doubles.

Never mind the fact that I don't care how much you split up the bandwidth,
you're still only using the same amount, period.

> > but they are too dumb to confirm it beyond the fact that I was talking
> > to a guy about my setup who then talked to them, and I'm well know as
> > the town UNIX guy (I don't know much, but that's a lot more than anyone
> > else).
> >
> > Second, I talked to their management and got them to give me a static
> > IP, just so I can telnet in and grab the occasional file.  They want to
> > push me up to a business account for that.
>
> Explicitly getting a static IP it what tips them off.  Truthfully
> speaking, sometimes you don't need to tell them you want a static IP - the
> IP gets dynamically assigned by DHCP (around here, at least), and is
> static anyway.

Static IP is a flat-rate option, and was fairly cheap last I checked (like
$10 a month or something, maybe less).

> There are also ways of having a script detect when your IP number changes
> and update a DNS entry through a free dns service like dyndns.org.
>
> > So, the question is, does anyone have a provider that allows them to use
> > a unix box as a NAT box, and does anyone have to pay business fees to
> > get a static IP?
>
> Locally (Omaha, NE, USA), I use "unix" (Linux, actually) boxen for NAT on
> @Home cable modem connections.  I have no problems, and effectively a
> static IP.  As far as @Home is concerned, all I have is an "internet
> connection sharing device".
>
> I'm just careful not to let them know that I'm running a "server" (ssh,
> *light* email, and the occasional Napster), otherwise they'll start
> charging the business rate :(

Here's one good thing about the local ISP - if you do have the multi-computer
level account, there are no "server" restrictions.  I guess that's kind of
nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $$

> > I currently pay $50 for a 384k (downstream, not sure upstream), and they
> > want $300 for a 512k business connection (plus some cheapo useless junk,
> > like 5 e-mail addresses!)
>
> $300 is awfully expensive, even for a business connection.

Yeah, that's ridiculous.

Then again, here's the price schedule for our area:

Bronze Plus (768k x 128) $32.50 Telco (applicable to either)
         		 $35.00 Single-computer
			 $60.00 Multi-computer

Hence, in my situation I'm looking at $92.50 a month just for DSL.
Unfortunately, it's hard to justify to my wife, boss, etc. the move
from $99 6-month dialup to $92.50 per month DSL.

ISDN is always an option, and the price there are much more reasonable,
but I'm stuck in GTE territory, where we don't get flat-rate ISDN *at all*.

Stuck in an analog world...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net