[Sunhelp] DSL question (kinda offtopic)

Jonathan Eisch sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 2 20:14:36 CST 2000

Hi All,

My DSL provided wants to charge me business rates (costs 7x more), so
I'm wondering what other providers polocies are.

First, I have a SparcStation Classis (this is the on-topic part) doing
my NAT, so they call that a server and want to charge me for for that,
but they are too dumb to confirm it beyond the fact that I was talking
to a guy about my setup who then talked to them, and I'm well know as
the town UNIX guy (I don't know much, but that's a lot more than anyone
else).

Second, I talked to their management and got them to give me a static
IP, just so I can telnet in and grab the occasional file.  They want to
push me up to a business account for that.

So, the question is, does anyone have a provider that allows them to use
a unix box as a NAT box, and does anyone have to pay business fees to
get a static IP?

I currently pay $50 for a 384k (downstream, not sure upstream), and they
want $300 for a 512k business connection (plus some cheapo useless junk,
like 5 e-mail addresses!)

-Jonathan