[Sunhelp] disk system planning

Jarrett Carver sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 2 10:07:52 CST 2000

Is the 4.3 a lot faster or just a lot bigger?

Personally, I would install the second disk, make two file systems. I would
make the /opt a little large since I tend to also store source code of
programs I compiled there.

The first file system I would make would be /opt. Once you create the file
system, manually mount it as /opt2. Now I would `cd /opt; tar cvf - /opt/*
| (cd /opt2, tar xvf -)` this will move your /opt directory over. Now you
can umount the current /opt and mount the new /opt. Edit you /etc/vfstab so
the new /opt get's mounted at boot.

Next I would create another filesystem and mount it to /opt/local.
Then I would  `cd /usr/local; tar cvf - * | (cd /opt/local, tar xvf - ). Now
I would lofs mount /opt/local to /usr/local and test any program I have
loaded there. If they seem to work ok, umount /usr/local. Then delete the
original /usr/local, and remount lofs /opt/local to /usr/local.

Now you have a free /opt on your primary disk that can be used as extra
data, home directories, web stuff, etc.. space.

This prevents the need for a reinstall, unless of course you want to reload
solaris in which case during the reload I would make a larger /home on the
primary disk, and more swap if needed.

Like I said this is personal opinion of what I might do in said situation.
Perhaps it will gove you ideas on what you would/could do.

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator