[Sunhelp] nonbooting ss10

Adam McDougall sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 1 17:02:15 CST 2000

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could toss out any ideas that might help
me get a sparc 10 up and running again.  Summary: Powers up, screen powers
on but displays nothing, computer dead.  Possible cause:  I managed to
bend a pin on a GX framebuffer while seating it which bent it off to the
side of the connector.  I've since fixed that but it still wont boot

Things I've tried:
Making sure the jumpers on the motherboard are set the same as another
sparc10
swapping framebuffers, cpu, memory, power supply with a known working ss10
(and verifying the cpu and video in the broken computer still work)
tried the GX in several sbus slots
tried a 36mhz cpu and a 50mhz cpu with cache
taken the motherboard out of the case to elimitate possible shorts
tried a cg3 instead of the GX (cg6) but the monitor didnt even come on

I power on the computer, the keyboard beeps and blinks the lights, the
computer blinks the lights on the keyboard very soon after, then in the
time it takes for a HD to spin up the keyboard lights blink a third time
and the monitor powers on.  Thats as far as it goes, it doesnt display
anything.  The keyboard lights do not seem to respond to toggling numlock,
etc.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to at least consider this :)