[Sunhelp] logging

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 1 09:05:32 CST 2000

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Magnus Abrante wrote:

| My first thought was to do this in the shell, with something like a
| duplicate history file or something, this might not be very good idea
| since this history file would have to be writable by the user, an other
| (i have to admit not to clever) idea would be to have the shell
| log every command thru something like syslog or similar :-).

Actually, that thought had occured to me. For shells like bash, tcsh, and
zsh, this is a simple thing to do. It's the users that use sh/csh/ksh
where there's a problem. No source to modify. So, if I added syslogging to
tcsh, all the user needs to do to get around it is to exec sh.

sigh.

Thanks for bearing with me on this, though :)
/dale