[Sunhelp] OT: RS/6000's

Paul Paul
Wed Nov 8 22:54:31 CST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:25:27 -0700, Nicholas Dronen wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 06:24:22PM -0800, Paul Khoury wrote:
>> I just bought an RS/6000 to learn alongside my SPARCstations,
>> and since I know there are some people here familiar with AIX,
>> maybe someone could tell me of any good sites, similiar to Sunhelp?
>
>I know of no such thing, sadly.
>
>You can always use http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/ for some documentation,
>especially as you'll probably be amazed how unobious it is to install
>man pages on AIX.  After you have man pages, you might want to look
>for a sysadmin guide on http://www.redbooks.ibm.com.  Beware that
>it's a very unfriendly site to search.  The results rarely make
>sense.

IBM's search engine *NEVER* makes sense. =)  That I can expect.  I haven't played
much with their redbooks, but am familiar with what they are.  Any good books on AIX?
I've seen some at Barnes and Noble, but forgot the names.

>Finally, your best bet at advice from real people is comp.unix.aix.
>A number of veteran AIX folks post there, including people from
>AIX development in Austin.  Of course, read the comp.unix.aix
>FAQ as well.  It'll help prepare you for the shock. :)

That bad?  I hear some people love AIX, and others curse on it.
I just want to learn as many flavors of UNIX for work experience, as I'm
going back to school now, instead of working full time.

And I already downloaded the FAQ, which I'll upload to my SS2 webserver
later tonight for easy viewing.

Thanks,

Paul