[Sunhelp] help for Apache webserver

John Kennedy jkennedy at orent.com
Mon Mar 27 08:24:25 CST 2000

shivraj yadav wrote:

> I think i have downloaded correctly .... i have chosen Solaris 2.6 links
> from the right  hand side frm sunfreeware.com & selected it frm lower right
> side list  only. There the gzip version is given as
> gzip-1-2.4-sol26-intel-local
> i did right click on after pointing to it & selected save link as. After
> downloading I did ftp to my sun m/c in bin mode & did
> #pkgadd -d ./gzip*
> It added 2 packages 1) FSFgzip 2) gzip (intel) successfully
> but when i try #gunzip gcc* i get a "invalid format" error ...
> where am i going wrong in this ? I have tried downloading thrice but kept on
> getting the same error message.
> kindly help in this,
> thanks,
> shivraj

You probably did download correctly.  You just downloaded the wrong
version.  gzip-1-2.4-sol26-intel-local is for Solaris X86 (The intel
version) You need gzip-1-2.4-sol26-sparc-local.  On the menu in the
upper right of the screen make sure you choose Sparc/Solaris2.6.  To be
absolutely sure use this link:
http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlist.html#gzip
--
John Kennedy
UNIX System Administrator

To decode go to http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/

If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you
know," PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Your anti-Microsoft signatures for Monday are...

I sense much NT in you.  NT leads to bluescreen, bluescreen leads to
downtime, downtime leads to suffering.  NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful UNIX is
 - Jedi SysAdmin

Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change to take
effect. Reboot now?