[Sunhelp] ping works ,ping -s does not !!!

Moti Levy mlevy at lannet.com
Thu Mar 23 10:07:51 CST 2000

Hi Guru's
Here is a good one for you .
we have a cisco router connecting us to the comapny wan.
from my machine  - solaris 2.6 fully patched . if i ping the router i get
"router is alive"
if i ping -s the router the ping halts and i get no reply.
I have moved the machine to the same subnet asd the cisco with no luck .
this would e a simple " lets check acl's on the router " problem ,but
(there's always a but ...).
if i ping this router from windowz ,linux ,hp-ux ,AIX and even a netware 4.1
boxes it works great !!!
We've comapred packet size , subnets gateways .
this problem apears to be sun specific ( both sunos 4.1.3 sol2.6 sol2.7 and
even sol2.5.1).
I've scanned sunsolve but came up empty, searched the web - smae thing.
anybody got a clue ???
Moti