[Sunhelp] Rack mount E3500

ds ds at primenet.com
Wed Mar 22 23:53:23 CST 2000

> > From: ds [SMTP:ds at primenet.com]
> > We have two E3500's that are used within a production surrounding where
> > people are shuffling around them everyday.  I would like to see them in
>
>"Flynn, Harold M. III" wrote:
>
> Make 'em really suffer.  Buy another E3500, some sun ray's, and start
> yanking pc's.  >:-)

Actually I have thought about this, but I'm not sure I understand how
this works.  I know you have to purchase the Sun Ray Enterprise Server
for the E3500's ($2,599 ea.), then you purchase the Sun Ray's at $499
ea.

But... can you run ANY software that's on your server?  Are these
basically X-Terminals?  We are budgeting two Ultra 5's to use as
X-Terminals to run our Tivoli soft ware from the E3500's on them.
Couldn't I use the Sun Rays?  or does only software made to run on them
work?  (sorry to be so dumb on this, but our sales rep is clueless and I
have learned to quit trusting them... they have sold us to much that
never worked as promised).

2 Ultra 5's, 2 21" Monitors = $7,080
1 Sun Ray Enterprise Software, 2 Sun Rays, 2 21" Monitors = $6,387

Where this could get expensive is that the second E3500 we have is a
backup and we should have a extra copy of the Sun Enterprise software on
it also, thus pushing the cost of the Sun Ray units to $8,986.

dean
Email:	ds at primenet.com
Web:	http://radsl-sullinger.phx.primenet.com/
"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD"