[Sunhelp] Question about SS5

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Mar 22 19:31:41 CST 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Scott Walker wrote:

> Is there a good source for info a SS5 I got? Mainly, does it support
> Full Duplex networking, Mine seems to have a 170Mhz processor? I thought
> the highest was 110Mhz, Info on Classic machines would also rock, like
> do thet support full duplex ethernet?

SparcStations with onboard 10mbps ethernet use the Lance (le) ethernet
controller.  This is only capable of 10mbps half duplex.  You can of
course add a 100mbps hme sbus card to get 100/full.  The 100mbps be
ethernet only supports half duplex.

The 170MHz SS5 was the fastest one built, it has a TurboSparc CPU with
512K of L2 cache.  It's a bit faster than a SS20/71 for some things.

The SS5 (and Classic, I believe) service manuals are available at
docs.sun.com.

-James