[Sunhelp] Rack mount E3500

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Wed Mar 22 01:48:36 CST 2000

ds wrote:

> We have two E3500's that are used within a production surrounding where
> people are shuffling around them everyday.  I would like to see them in
> a rack, up off the floor and out of the way (possibly in the air

<snip>

> Since Sun's rack config starts at $7,500 dollars... I was thinking of
> purchasing a PC rack to place it in.  We use Compaq 19" racks ($2,500)
> for all our PC servers (we have a total of about 12 Compaq racks in
> toll).
>
> Any thoughts?

Consider the fact that there is two standards of 19" racks; 'RETMA' and
'Metric'.
Don't ask me what's the difference, but it has to do with the hole
placement, I think. Also, I've noticed the difference between the
Digital SW800 (we are swimming in DEC-equipment) cabinet, and the new
Compaq 9142 cabinet. The Compaq 7142 are used almost everywhere, but
since Compaq decided to stop manufacturing those cabinets, we had to go
for the 9142 instead.
It's pretty nice looking, and was even cheaper than the 7142. Smaller
height, but still 42U.

Also bare in mind that there are atleast two different depths too. (And
I'm not counting any of the network equipment racks out there)

I work around a quite large VMS/Alpha enviroment, together with some SGI
beasts, HP boxes, Linux breadboxes and ofcourse gazillions of PeeCees.
We have at the moment 4 x 7142 racks and had to start building with the
new 9142 racks some place else in our server room. (150+ square meters
of computer room)
I would be the happiest technician on earth, if I'd convinsed the people
in charge to buy rackmount kits every time we buy a new server. They've
taken that step on the PeeCee side, but the Alphas (and SGI) are still
living on the floor. :-(

	/Regards, Bjorn