[Sunhelp] Rack mount E3500

ds ds at primenet.com
Tue Mar 21 21:20:50 CST 2000

We have two E3500's that are used within a production surrounding where
people are shuffling around them everyday.  I would like to see them in
a rack, up off the floor and out of the way (possibly in the air
conditioned, fire protected computer room about 30' away).  Currently we
straddle them down on the floor under a table when we need to use them
(what a way to treat a couple 3500's).

Since Sun's rack config starts at $7,500 dollars... I was thinking of
purchasing a PC rack to place it in.  We use Compaq 19" racks ($2,500)
for all our PC servers (we have a total of about 12 Compaq racks in
toll).  My thought would be to purchase the floor kits for the E3500's
($100 ea.) and then place them on four way mounted shelves in the lower
portion of the Compaq rack.  Since we need the monitor and keyboards at
a remote location (about 40' away) we could purchase the 10m
keyboard/monitor expansion kit ($75 ea.).  Then place a cheap 220
terminal in the rack as a console for both units... total cost... about
$3,300 w/tax (I said about).

Any thoughts?

BTW - Before you say it... I know we should do the right thing and buy
the Sun rack.  I live in a PC world at work... I was placed on the cross
when I managed to purchase the first Sun (I was required to write 3
documents outlining why it wasn't a Microsoft based product).  Some
people STILL are not happy with me 2 years later.  I finally have
managed to get 11 Sun's in an environment of 4,500 PC's... it's been a
rough and lonely road (play Violin here).  There is NO WAY I will get
them to lay out that much cash for a Sun rack.

Dean
Email:	ds at primenet.com
Web:	http://radsl-sullinger.phx.primenet.com/
"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD"