[Sunhelp] MAE 3.0

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Mar 13 18:04:36 CST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Jonathan Eisch wrote:

> Has anyone ever used Apple's Macintosh Aplication Environment under
> solaris?  How quick is it?  How well does it work under Solaris 7?

On my Sparc 10/61 with a GX it was about the speed of a IIci (25MHz 68030)
for CPU-bound tasks, video was much slower (comparable to an LC).

On my AXi/360MHz/Creator3D CPU tasks go at about the speed of a
hypothetical 200MHz 68040.  Video is comparable to a low end PowerMac.

On my 4/330GX it screamed along at about the speed of a Mac Plus.

The main problems with it are that it's no longer supported, emulates a
68040LC only, and is limited to system 7.5.3 (and a mutant version of
7.5.3 at that).  It runs just about everything I've tried throwing at it,
though audio has sometimes been a bit choppy.  Non-Powermac versions of
software are unfortunately becoming harder to find.

If you're running Solaris 7 I recommend against loading the Appletalk
drivers supplied with the package.  They're not necessary and can cause
some nasty problems.  For maximum performance you'll want to increase the
maximum size of a shared memory segment in /etc/system.

The last version is 3.0 release 4.  I think I have the r4 updater if you
have a copy of 3.0.

-James