[Sunhelp] Creating a CD with solaris software on it.

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 7 16:32:20 CST 2000

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 02:13:43PM -0800, Kevin Fujinami wrote:
> > I need to create a CD with all of the programs that I generally install.
> > How do I create a CD formatted for Solaris x86?  I do have a CD burner
> > installed on a windows machine.
> > I need to put stuff like gzip and netscape clients, and other stuff on this
> > CD.
>
> I usually just make a tar file like "solaris.tar" containing all the packages
> I need, then burn that to an iso9660-format CDROM.  That way, both a sparc
> and a PC can read it (if I need to ftp the packages off a PC for example),
> I just put the tarfile on the sparc, and then untar it (which results in
> the long filenames).

Great mindes in similar circles....  I do precisely the same thing to make
long-term backups and installsets for all my unix boxes.  Alas, I only have
one burner on a PeeCee windoz NT toy, but as long as you tar up everything
you need or keep filenames in iso format, it works fine.  I usually
make images for the adaptec burner suite, and store those on the NT toy
for extra archival images.

Any unix man worth his salt will keep several such ditties handy with
all his favorite addins tarballs to convert a stock install to ``just
that right kindof feel'' install.   One just can't do without them.

Hint.... you can tar off whatever you want on the unix side, as long
as the isos on the PeeCee are standard 8.3, without extensions.
That way it reads on anything.  Forgetting to do that can sometimes
cause problems.  Save binaries on the CD with a .bin extension so
you don't get confused down the road.  mv them back to the non-extension
name after they are loaded onto the target box.  Generate a small
script to do this en masse.

Hint.... you can isoize an install tree for ftp installs, like on
NetBSD or OpenBSD or whatever, and install directly from the CD as
long as you have some way to boot the machine by floppy or netboot.
(I have not tried that on anything else, like sunos or solaris, though.)

Bob

See... PeeCee's can sometimes be good for something besides windoz.