[Sunhelp] 20 Gig ATA IDE

Calvin Wells wellsc at ezlookin.com
Mon Mar 6 20:37:06 CST 2000

It's an ASUS motherboard with a bios Date of December 1999.
It's hard to believe that the bios would recognize the entire 20 Gigabytes
yet not be able to successfully pass on that information to a supposed up-
to-date operating system. Maybe SUN just don't care about extensive support
for IDE. I bet if I threw a 20 Gig SCSI drive in the box, it would
recognize every last block, bit, magnetic particle, and then some.

> --
>
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:54:55    Calvin Wells wrote:
> >I'm trying to install a 20gig IDE on
> >Solaris x86 2.7. I can't seem to get
> >it larger than 8 gigabytes. The bios reports it as
> >lba 20gig. Is 8 gigs the maximum capacity for a partition (slice).
> >Do I need a patch or updated driver.
> >ASUS PIII 500 Mhz with 256 Megs of Ram.
> >One 8 gig harddrive and one 20 Gig harddrive.
> >
> >Right off the back, solaris x86 would not install
> >on this machine until I got the updated configuration assistant
> >disk. So I'm wondering if this limitation is also requires an update.
> >
> >Help?
> >

> >Calvin Wells
> >wellsc at ezlookin.com
> >
> You have the same problem I have- a bad bios!!! IBM or COMPAQ or
something stupid right?
> yeah there is nothing you can do about it, will except install solaris on
a smaller drive.

> MailCity. Secure Email Anywhere, Anytime!
> http://www.mailcity.com

Calvin Wells MCSE, CNE, CCNA, CCSA
Chief Information Officer
EZLOOKIN.COM