[Sunhelp] problem with e150 -

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jun 13 07:26:49 CDT 2000

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Reagen Ward wrote:

> Not in my experience with a rather unfriendly E150, unless it was powered down
> in a funny way.  We just use a terminal server for ours, tip into the console.

Right.  Sun documents this and specifically advises against doing a soft
poweroff (init 5 or similar).

> Nasty styrofoam, but heat conductive.  Look at an E450; mostly wasted space for
> internal drive bays.  Ugh.

Not too bad though, now that the 420's are out at least there's a choice.
I love 450's for apps that require tons of local disk but not extreme
redundant reliability (they make terrific webcrawlers).

It depresses me how "plastic" Suns seem now though.  I'm fairly confident
my 3/260 could take a round from an AR-15 without serious damage, while a
450 would be totalled.  Just the act of racking them can place a lot of
stress on plastic parts, the upper "panel" can be knocked off by a small
bump.

-James