[Sunhelp] multiple hosts

Mary Christie Generalao christie_gen at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 05:23:41 CDT 2000

 Hi, I have this concern over a server im configuring for webhosting several
domains. I hope you can give hints.

 It's a solaris 2.5.1 server with a single interface card, but configured
with 16
sub-interfaces (le0:1...le0:16) correspondingly assigned its own ip such
as 192.168.0.1-16. The main interface (le0) has IP 192.168.1.1 and resolves
to say, main.ourcompany.com. I resolved each IP address of the virtual
interfaces to its own hostname/domain name such that
192.168.0.1=>server.a.com, 192.168.0.2=> server.b.com, and so on..

 I wanted to achieve the effect of when a user logs in to the le0:N ip
address, the machine hostname that he'll be aware of is the one to which the
ip address of that interface resolves to. That is, if he logs to
192.168.0.2,  all references to the hostname that he'll be aware of is
server.b.com (including environment variables relating to hostname).

Presently, the hostname that i can see is that of the main ip address (le0)
regardless of which virtual interface i log on to.

 Any ideas? A lot of thanks in advance.

 Mary Christie