[Sunhelp] Remote Solaris Install Problem

Jim Richey jrichey at highmark.com
Tue Jun 6 08:09:49 CDT 2000

I have an old Spacstation 2 with 32MB of memory and two 345MB hardrives
that I'm trying to upgrade to Solaris 2.6 via a network install. The
install server is a 3500. I've done the following:

On the install Server:
cd /cdrom/s0/Solaris_2.6/Tools
./setup_install_server /export/sol26-install

add client ethernet address and name to /etc/ethers
add client ip address and name to /etc/hosts

cd /export/sol26-install/Solaris_2.6/Tools
./add_install_client sparc2test sun4c

Which produces the following:

making /tftpboot
enabling tftp in /etc/inetd.conf
updating /etc/bootparams
copying inetboot to /tftpboot

I boot the SS2 (currently runing SUN OS 4.1) and use Stop A to get to
the OK prompt. Then I
type boot net.

System reboots indicating the boot device as the le0 ethernet card.
It begins flashing 4 digit hex numbers.
It gets to a000 and pauses.
After several minutes it reports the following error and returns to the
ok prompt:

a000 receive failed
Illegal Instruction

>From the documentation Solaris 2.6 should run on and SS2. Did I miss
something? The SS2 is a sun4c as far as I know. Is something not running
on the install server that should be? Anybody know what's up with this?

--

Jim Richey
jrichey at highmark.com
Highmark, Inc.