[Sunhelp] Ultra 10 + scsi-card

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jun 6 01:25:01 CDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Tony Alberti wrote:

> We got an Adaptec 2940U2W to work in an Ultra10 at work.
> MUCH cheaper than Sun's SCSI cards and the U2W supports
> that 80 meg / sec Ultra 2 SCSI  standard.

Adaptec produced drivers for Solaris, they are not included in the OS.
The Adaptec drivers only function with the /OF series of cards (expensive).
The Adaptec drivers only function when the kernel is booted in 32-bit mode.
The Adaptec drivers are now "dead" and no future development is intended.
Adaptec will not release programming information on their cards to Sun.

Sun's single UW SCSI card (the X5010A) is $199.  This isn't great but
isn't terrible and Adaptec is up in that price range as well.  Other
8751SP cards are available for around half that price, I bought a pile of
them from Centrix for $65/ea not long ago (but that was an exceptional
deal).  Support is guaranteed for a long time as this is the exact card
that Sun is shipping and uses the same chipset as the Ultra 450 and
friends.

-James