[Sunhelp] [Summary] hme NIC lying?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jun 5 15:41:19 CDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 Robert.Cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk wrote:

> Second. The general consensus appears to be to forget auto-negotiation
> altogether and use /etc/system settings to set the network interfaces
> speed/duplex
> to a known state. I now have documents from both Cisco and Sun which further
> confirm that piece of advice.

Autonegotiation works well as long as both sides autonegotiate and are not
broken.  If your Cisco switch is set not to autonegotiate, the Sun system
must be forced as well.

With the exception of some badly designed bits of network h/w,
autonegotiation works quite well.  There were some problems early on in
the hme driver but they have all been resolved to my knowledge.

-James