[Sunhelp] Ultra 10 + scsi-card

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jun 5 13:45:29 CDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Patrick Tetzlaff wrote:

> Ive heard that Symbios 53C785 work great, but I intend to install an

53c875, not 785.

> IBM 1000RPM Ultra160 harddrive. Due to the fact that Symbios 53C785
> cards only support 40mb/s, it would be nice to have an adapter that is
> atleast capable of 80mb/s.

You will not come close to saturating even a 40MB/s bus with a single
10K rpm drive.  Since latancy is not dominated by the bus, you would
probably see no performance benefit at all by going to a different card.

Faster cards do exist but are considerably more expensive.  I doubt they
would be worth it in your case.  The 53c875's definately have the best
support.  If you intend on using many drives on this system eventually a
dual channel card may be a good bet.

-James